Wednesday, June 20, 2012

National Migraine Awareness Month : Playing Catch Up

I can't believe it is already day #20 of the Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge.  I had hoped to participate in this everyday, but between Migraines and a root canal, I have missed several of the last few days.  So today, I'm going to address a couple of the issues from the blog challenges I missed over the last week. 


#16 "Lead, Follow or Get out of the Way - Which role fits you and why?"  I have been so blessed to be touched and changed by many of the wonderful leaders in the Migraine community.  These people have made a significant difference in my life and for that I am profoundly grateful.  I don't that I would describe myself as either a leader or a follower.  I feel that my role at this time is to be one who comes along side and walks with other sufferers.  I can think of no greater privilege and joy than being able to share life with my fellow Migraineurs.  One of my favorite quotes is by Emerson: "To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded."  My deepest desire is that the people I interact with in the Migraine world will  breathe a little easier because they know they have a friend, a supporter, a prayer warrior, and a co-journeyer who is willing to walk with them in their journey.  I want to be one who encourages, shares information and empathizes.  I want my friendship to be a safe place where one does not have to worry about being perfect, putting on a happy face or being condemned.  I would like to be able to hold on to hope for others when they are feeling hopeless and to be one who will join hands with others as we go through this journey together.


#18 - "The Price is Right - what would you do for the Migraine community if money were no issue."  My dream would be to develop a scholarship fund so that no Migraineur goes without treatment, medication or alternative treatments (physical therapy, psychological therapy, biofeedback, massage) because they cannot afford the treatment or the travel related expenses associated with it.  


#19 - "The Match Game - Describe your perfect doctor to treat your Migraines.

  1. One who is up-to-date and knowledgeable about current Migraine treatments and those in the planning or research phase.
  2. One who is empathic and caring, as well as a good listener
  3. One who is able to express themselves well.
  4. One who has a good sense of humor.
  5. One who is patient and does not give up on their patients, no matter how difficult their Migraines are to treat.
  6. One who follows through on their ideas and suggestions.
  7. One who is open to input from the patient, as well as from other members of the patient's healthcare team.
  8. One who enjoys educating patients and their families through individual and group encounters, as well as written material.
  9. One who is accessible between standard appointments if needed.
  10. One who takes a holistic approach and provides information regarding alternative treatments, nutrition, exercise, supplements and other lifestyle changes.
  11. One is committed to doing whatever it takes to help the patient find hope and help with their Migraines.
  12. One who is financially affordable in all areas of their treatment.
  13. One who has an office designed for the comfort of Migraineurs.
  14. One who has put together a team of professionals who care about the patient and work together in a professional yet friendly and caring manner.
  15. One who sees the patient as a part of the treatment team.
  16. One who will coordinate with other members of my healthcare team.

No comments:

Post a Comment