Friday, July 18, 2014

AHMA 2014 Conference and Blog Plans

It's hard for me to believe that I haven't written anything on this blog since 2013!  It certainly isn't because I have lost the zeal for Migraine advocacy.  There are, however, new plans in the works.  Within the next few weeks, I hope to roll out my new web page - Migrainestrength.com.  This blog will become a spiritual encouragement and devotional blog for those who deal with Migraine, other Headache Disorders, and chronic pain. 

In the meantime, I have had a number of amazing opportunities.  The first one was to attend the Second Annual American Headache and Migraine Association (AHMA) conference in Los Angeles.  I cannot begin to tell you what an honor it was to spend time with so many of my virtual headache buddies in real life and how much encouragement I received just by being a part of them.  I also had the opportunity to listen to world class experts in the area of Headache and Migraine management speak about their hopes and dreams for the treatment of Headache and Migraine disorders during the conference, as well as about new treatments and research in these areas.  I particularly found Dr. Andy Charles' talk about Cortical Spreading Depression and Migraines fascinating!  Trust me, you don't want to miss out on our third conference in Washington D.C. next year!  It's going to be even bigger and better!


On a personal note, I particularly enjoyed reuniting with one of my best buds from junior and senior high (Marie Sandusky) when she attended the conference to look for ways to help her adolescent son who suffers from Migraines.  Neither of us looked (or acted) a day older! :)  In addition, I had the fun of rooming with two of my Migraine Heroes - the reigning queens of Migraine Advocacy - Teri Robert and Ellen Schnakenberg.  Like the kid who puts their textbook under a pillow trying to learn by osmosis, I just tried to absorb some of their collective wisdom by being that close to them for a week!

I was able to go to Los Angeles to work the AHMA booth during the American Headache Society (AHS) meeting and was gratified to meet so many doctors and health professions who are so committed to and passionate about finding better treatment for their Headache and Migraine Patients!  By the way, if you aren't a member of AHMA, what are you waiting for??  You can join by going here.  If you want a list of all the really good reasons to join, just shoot me a note!! 


I also had a few hours to take in Hollywood and Disneyland - both a challenge and a delight for me as a chronic Migraine sufferer!


Many thanks to all my Migraine and Headache Disorder buddies for their friendship and for how much I learn from you about how to live a graceful life in the midst of the storms of Migraines!  Many thanks to the AHMA board for granting me a scholarship so I could be a part of this year's conference and for allowing me to help out our booth!  Many thanks to all the amazing medical professionals who take the time to be a part of building AHMA and supporting patients!  As I've said before, but will say again, never forget that as Migrainers - we don't have to be survivors; we are thrivers!!  Carpe Diem (no matter how short of a day pain may allow it to be!)


No comments:

Post a Comment